Report this comment
  • "My son died two years in feb at the age of 24 he committed suicide.his ashes buried in woodfieldside.We have had things stolen and his headstone damaged.I can understand how you and your family feel.I was absolutely distraught and upset They really need security up there to stop this happening by these sorry people who prey and get satisfaction from doing low life things to the dead
    makes me physically sick.Scum thats all they are."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.

  • Enter the above word in the box below

Blackwood family ‘disgusted’ as vandals strike twice at grave

DISGUSTED: Ashley Davies at his father’s desecrated grave

DISGUSTED: Ashley Davies at his father’s desecrated grave

First published in News
Last updated

A MAN whose father died last year has said he is “disgusted” after his grave was damaged twice in two days.

Ashley Davies’ dad Andrew died last March 12 last year and his ashes are interred at Woodfield Park Funeral Home in Oakdale.

Mr Davies, 19, said it will cost about £500 to fix the damage to the stone, which was taken away to be repaired by a stonemason last Wednesday afternoon.

Last Monday, relatives found the gravestone had been badly scratched. They also found flowers and cards left at the graveside on Mr Davies’ birthday in November and at Christmas had been thrown away and his photo removed. Then on Tuesday they found red paint had been thrown on the stone.

He said: “We’re absolutely disgusted by it. We go up there every Tuesday without fail. My mum said the way she makes it through is by going up there. She goes up there because he died on a Tuesday.”

He said the family now want to put the stone into storage for the next few months to ensure it does not get damaged again.

Mr Davies, who was 41 when he died, was a former assistant site manager at Blackwood Comprehensive School and his son and wife Susan live on Derwendeg Avenue in Cefn Fforest. He suffered metastatic lung cancer and died at home only 14 weeks after being diagnosed with the disease.

He was married to Mrs Davies – who works as an assistant cook at Blackwood Primary School – for 19 years before he died.

A spokesman for the owners of the funeral home, Dignity plc, said: “As the owners of Woodfield Park Funeral Home we are obviously disappointed to learn about this incident and we will do anything we can to help the family and the police enquiry.”

Police took a statement from Mrs Davies on Wednesday night because she is the legal owner of the gravestone.

A spokesman for Gwent Police said they were “investigating the circumstances surrounding the incidents.”

They are urging people who might have information to contact them on 101 quoting log 325 06/01/14.

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree