CAERPHILLY welcomed Pill Harriers to Virginia Park with victory on their mind as the Castletown side look to secure a mid table finish following a poor start to the season.

With summer months approaching as fast as the season end, the sides baked in the sun, and despite a stiff breeze, produced some running rugby with 6 try’s between the sides.

It took Caerphilly just 3 minutes to open the scoring as they took play from the kick off up to the Pill line. Drawing in defenders tha ball was moved from left to right, winger Michael Lynch in space out wide for Caerphilly’s first try.

The first half was predominately Caerphilly, their defence and attack working in unison. In fact at least 4 try’s went begging in the next 20 minutes, 2 of them disallowed as the ball crossed the line, but the side failed to ground, before Caerphilly extended their lead.

A move started in their own 22, left wing Chris Thomas powered down the line. With backs and forwards combining, play as taken into the 22 as coaches James Rowles and Kieran Crawford combined to crash though the defence before releasing centre Will Worthington to dance through the defence and score under the posts.

Minutes later and Caerphilly were over the line again, as Thomas powered down the left again to release flanker Tom Ogden supporting the run, to score under the posts for a converted try, Vaughn Thomas adding the spoils.

An impressive 1st half display saw the home side with a 17-0 lead, also having bagged 3 tries on their way to a bonus point victory.

The second half, however, saw the visitors bounce back, scoring 2 tries of their own courtesy of scrum half Curtis Watkins, 3 minutes into the second period and replacement Joss Evans 3 minutes from time, as Pill received their just reward for persistent attacking, a different side from the first half performance.

Caerphilly sealed the bonus point with the final play of the game, captain Gareth Short crossing as the side, again, broke from defence. Short received the pass to cross the line.