Traffic and parking disruption expected during Caerphilly 10k
Updated 12:32pm Wednesday 18th June 2014 in News
A NUMBER of road closures will be enforced in Caerphilly town centre as the second annual Caerphilly 10k road race takes place on Sunday, June 22.
Residents and visitors to Caerphilly on the day are advised that a number of roads will feature either full or part closures from 7am until 1pm.
The start and finish line is located on Crescent Road, while from Nantgarw Road to the junction of Heol Trecastell estate will be partially closed from 7am to 1pm and fully closed between 9am and 1pm.
The town centre itself and the road leading from the Bedwas Bridge Roundabout to Van Road will be fully closed between 9.30am and 12pm while Piccadilly Square (Piccadilly Lights) will be fully closed from 9.30am to 10.45am.
The road between the Cedar Tree roundabout and Bedwas Bridge roundabout will be closed to eastbound traffic only from 9am until 11.30am.
Due to the nature of the event and the diversions in place there will also be some delays and some bus stops will not be served by a number of bus routes.
Caerphilly Interchange and bus stops at Southgate Square, Castle Entrance and Ton-y-felin Chapel will not be in use until after 12pm. Before 12pm, all buses on routes 26, 50, C16, A, B and C will use the bus stop at Castle Court Bandstand and resume their routes at Piccadilly Square or Bedwas Road. There will also be diversions in place for some services:
26 Blackwood – Caerphilly – Cardiff
• 1005 from Blackwood (1031 departure from Caerphilly) to Cardiff will not serve Pontygwindy Road between The Cedar Tree roundabout and The Piccadilly. It will also not serve Crescent Road.
50 Newport – Caerphilly – Bargoed
• 0955 from Newport (1030 departure from Caerphilly) to Bargoed will not serve Bedwas Road between Bedwas Bridge and The Piccadilly
A Graig-y-Rhacca – Caerphilly
• 1007 from Graig-y-Rhacca (1025 arrival in Caerphilly) will not serve Bedwas Road between Bedwas Bridge and The Piccadilly
• 1050 to Graig-y-Rhacca will not operate
• 1107 from Graig-y-Rhacca will not operate
B Senghenydd – Caerphilly - Cardiff
• 1110 from Senghenydd (1130 departure from Caerphilly) to Cardiff will not serve St. Martins Road. It will depart Castle Court Bandstand then resume its normal route from Watford Park.
Cones will be placed along both Van Road and Pontygwindy Road in Caerphilly on Saturday evening and residents are being encouraged to use the car park at Twyn Primary School and Ysgol Y Gwyndy (former St Ilan site). St Martin’s Comprehensive School will also be available from 7am on Sunday for any resident who wishes to leave the town centre during the road closures.
A council spokesman apologised “for any inconvenience and hope residents will support the runners and make the event a day to remember”.
Runners still have until Thursday, June 19, at midnight to register online at your.caerphilly.gov.uk/10k.
Comments are closed on this article.