SUPERB food and beverage is at the very heart of the undoubted success of the five-star Celtic Manor Resort.
Crucial to the continued success of the resort, its eight restaurants and ten bars is unquestionably the calibre of its people and the impeccable service they deliver.
One of this select band is Jordan Hyde, who, since joining the resort three years ago, has continued to carve out a very successful career for himself by delivering exceptional levels of service to guests.
The extremely personable 21-year-old, who attended Welsh medium Ysgol Gyfun Gwynllw and worked part-time at Celtic Manor while still at school, secured a casual position at the resort’s celebrated Merlin’s Bar.
Now the ambitious Newport youngster has worked his way up from casual to his current role as host at the resort’s signature restaurant Steak on Six.
Constantly smiling, ever amiable Jordan clearly enjoys his work.
“No two days are the same. It’s been said many times before but it really is true. There are always new experiences, meeting new people, doing new things, making guests feel welcome and taking pride in introducing them to this fantastic resort.”
Expertly pouring a perfect pint for a customer, Jordan said: “What I particularly enjoy is re-engaging with people who have been to Celtic Manor before - sometimes many times before – and building up a rapport with the guests, acknowledging them and making them feel that they want to return. That is a real buzz.”
Jordan is encouraged and grateful that his enthusiasm and enjoyment of his work and can do attitude is recognised.
“I was very pleased to be selected to work on the opening of the prestigious Steak on Six restaurant. It was an honour and privilege to be chosen. I really value the recognition. It’s great to know that all your hard work is being noticed.”
But what’s it really like to work at one of the UK’s foremost resort hotels mingling with global VIPs and celebrities?
“It’s brilliant. I enjoy each day separately and invariably I go home with a big smile on my face looking forward to what tomorrow will bring. It’s fun and I take immense pleasure in serving everyone no matter who they are, celebrity or regular guest. People come here from all over the world; they quite rightly expect the best and get the very best at Celtic Manor.
“The opportunities for associates here are endless. I am a real people person and feel that I can really flourish in the environment here at Celtic Manor.
“I have the choice of working in any one of eight restaurants. I even worked on the hotel reception for a month which was great. I’ve been on a number of training courses and I am currently training to become a supervisor.
“There is wonderful support for associates in whichever way people want to progress. I really do feel that my future here at Celtic Manor Resort is in my own hands - the sky really is the limit and I intend to go as far as I can.
“To anyone considering applying for a job here I would say - go for it. I recently encouraged a mate to apply for a job here. There are just so many opportunities available from events to food and beverage to the corporate side. He was amazed at the range of positions that are available.”
• A total of 187 Food and Beverage associates, bartenders, supervisors, hosts and chefs de rang are employed across the Celtic Manor Resort estate.
• The role and duties of a Food and Beverage associate include: greeting guests; providing menus; taking orders and relaying them to the kitchen; serving and clearing food and beverage in a courteous, polite, efficient and friendly manner; providing a consistent and attentive but not intrusive service; anticipating guest needs; cleaning tables and exchanging linen; communicating effectively with guests and colleagues; and assisting managers and supervisors in the smooth running of the team.
• Key attributes looked for in candidates are excellent personal and communication skills, commitment to maintaining the five-star service standards of an iconic five star Celtic Manor Resort, working well in a team environment, and having a positive attitude to making a difference to improve guests’ experience. Previous waiting experience is desirable but not essential.
• Celtic Manor also has vacancies for Food and Beverage Supervisors for which previous experience is essential and leadership and management skills are also required. Supervisor administrative duties include weekly scheduling, daily logbook updating, guest correspondence, stock control, and recording attendance and training of team members.
• Food and Beverage associates and supervisors are employed in all of Celtic Manor Resort’s eight restaurants, 10 bars and The Forum Health Club Café.
• Excellent staff benefits include uniform, free meal while on duty and generous discounts throughout the resort including hotel accommodation, restaurant meals, spa treatments, leisure and golf membership.
Interested? Visit celtic-manor.com/careers for more details and application forms or call 01633 410281.