A BARGOED man is beginning a three-and-a-half years prison sentence after pleading guilty to a string of drugs, motoring and other offences, including several committed on whilst on bail.

Daniel Wangiel's offences took place on three separate occasions - July 16/17 and August 24 last year, and January 13 this year - Newport Crown Court was told.

The 27-year-old, of Heol-y-Mynydd, Bargoed, drove at excessive speeds as police pursued his Honda hatchback after residents of a Gilfach street reported that several parked cars had been damaged late on the evening of July 16.

Police spotted the car in the early hours of the following morning in a lay-by on Pengam Road and it sped off when they stopped.

It reached 80mph in a 30mph zone, with no headlights on, and for a period was driven on the wrong side of the road.

Wangiel, a disqualified driver, was caught and arrested shortly afterwards at his home by another officer, having foiled a 'stinger' device deployed to stop the car, which he later abandoned.

He claimed it had been stolen after he left it outside with the keys in the ignition, and at first denied any knowledge of the cannabis and amphetamines found inside, the latter with a street value of more than £4,800. A mobile phone also revealed messages appearing to relate to drug dealing.

Wangiel also made off from police after when spotted at traffic lights by police in Bargoed on August 24, forcing his car through traffic and speeding away as officers tried to detain him.

And on January 13 he threatened to set fire to the home of a woman in the town with whom he was staying as a condition of his bail. She had refused to switch off his electronic tag monitor when he told her he would instead be staying with his girlfriend.

Offences from the latter two dates were committed when Wangiel was on bail.

"He apologises for his actions and accepts he has no-one but himself to blame," said defence counsel Matthew Roberts.

Judge Tracey Lloyd-Clarke told Wangiel his actions amounted to "serious offending in a short space of time."

He had earlier pleaded guilty to possession of a class A drug with intent to supply, from July 16/17, to dangerous driving, failing to stop, and licence and insurance offences from July 16/17 and August 24, and to threatening to cause arson on January 13.

His three-and-a-half years total sentence comprised 16 months for the drugs offence, 12 months for the dangerous driving offence on August 24, and 14 months for the arson offence, all to run consecutively.

He was also disqualified from driving for four years and nine months.