A TEENAGE girl died on a mountainside beauty spot after taking ecstasy for the first time, an inquest heard today.

Schoolgirl Shauna Davies, 15, collapsed just minutes after taking the drug when she developed an "abnormal" heart rhythm.

An inquest heard it was the first time Shauna had taken the Class A drug when she blacked out while walking up a mountain track to meet friends in June last year.

Friend Sophie Caldwell, 16, told police Shauna began "hallucinating" during the walk up Caerphilly Mountain.

DC Claire Burke, who interviewed Sophie, said: "As they went up the mountain Shauna was behind Sophie.

"Shauna had become more and more delusional and started seeing trees moving.

"Shauna was describing trees moving and was telling different people to get away from her. She was hallucinating."

DC Burke said Sophie realised Shauna was having "problems" before she saw her collapse on the ground.

James Harvey, who was also on the mountain, said he heard a girl shout out: "Come over here, my friend is having a seizure on the floor".

Mr Harvey said Shauna's body would "shake then stop" before her pulse stopped and her lips turned blue.

Gwent Coroner's Court heard teenagers tried to give Shauna CPR and phoned 999.

But she was pronounced dead when she arrived at University Hospital of Wales in Heath, Cardiff, on June 18.

Pathologist Dr Deryk James said Shauna, who lived with her mother in Caerphilly, died from toxicity from MDMA - the chemical name for ecstasy.

Shauna's mother Maria Leggatt said her daughter was "healthy and happy" but had began experimenting with alcohol at 14 and cannabis around six months before her death.

She said she wasn't aware of her daughter using MDMA before her death.

Ms Leggett said Shauna had attended a school for pupils who have been expelled, and had shown "anger management issues".

Gwent Coroner Wendy James said Shauna's lifestyle had been "laden with risk" and hoped her teenage friends would consider the dangers of Class A drugs.

Miss James said: "It's believed this was the first time the girls had taken MDMA.

"Shauna became disengaged at an early age with and started experimenting with drugs and alcohol.

"This lifestyle was harmful to her well-being and fraught with dangers.

"The lifestyle she was leading was laden with risk and when she took these drugs she was gambling with her life.

"If any good can come from her tragically short life it's that her friends stop and consider the risk they take every time they take illegal drugs, and alter their lifestyles in tribute and on memory of their friend Shauna.

"It's absolutely tragic that drugs have robbed her of her young life."

The coroner recorded a conclusion of misadventure at the inquest in Newport.