Gwent AMs debate Cwmcarn school asbestos crisis
5:02pm Tuesday 16th October 2012 in News
GWENT AMs debated the Cwmcarn school asbestos crisis this afternoon.
Plaid Cymru AM for South Wales East Lindsay Whittle, who is also a Caerphilly borough councillor, said that he had spoken to the authority’s chief executive, Anthony O’Sullivan, about the closure of Cwmcarn school.
“I was told that the council acted quickly on this matter to ensure the safety of pupils and the staff, which is paramount. It is now important that alternative education arrangements are provided for children while the problems with asbestos are tackled.”
William Graham, AM for South Wales East, said the Tories support a central register in Wales for where asbestos is present in Wales.
Mohammad Asghar, Tory AM for South Wales East, said it had been reported that Caerphilly council knew about asbestos being present in Cwmcarn High School and had removed asbestos from the premises last summer, and was aware of asbestos being present in 30 other schools.
Meanwhile Chris Evans MP for Islwyn, said: "Obviously the key thing at the moment is health and safety and the after that it's making sure that nobody's education is affected particularly those who are going to be sitting exams.
"We've got to be positive, it is only a temporary measure and let's just hope a resolution can be found as soon as possible.
"I think the important thing is that we support the Council and the school community."
Comments are closed on this article.