Newport 20 Bedwas 31

DEFENSIVE calamities and some frankly shapeless play saw Newport fail to build on their amazing comeback at Neath as they were beaten by a far better drilled Bedwas at Rodney Parade, writes Iwan Gabe Davies.

The Black and Ambers were quite honestly shambolic at times and were in control early in the second half before they squandered a 17-9 lead to Steve Law’s men who thoroughly deserved their convincing win.

Played on a beautiful autumn afternoon, there was little to cheer about early on in a scrappy affair until home wing Elliot Frewen’s lovely try provided a glorious ray of sunshine after a great break by promising young outside-half Ethan Davies.

Full-back Geraint O’Driscoll’s fine conversion gave the hosts a 7-0 lead after 14 minutes but Bedwas got themselves back into the game with a long range penalty kicked by their No 10 Richard Powell.

Although neither side really took the game by the scruff of the neck, an O’Driscoll penalty just before the half hour mark stretched the Black and Ambers’ lead.

Newport threatened to pull away from the visitors but some basic errors and silly penalties let them down.

It was Bedwas who scored next after their lock Luke Connelly went off on a terrific run.

He stormed into the hosts’ half and the home side’s second row Adam Frampton was yellow carded for infringing at the breakdown with Powell kicking his second penalty on the stroke of half-time to bring the score back to 10-6 to the hosts.

Newport conceded an early penalty after the interval and Powell stroked his third place kick over.

But the Black and Ambers hit back immediately when centre Dan Robinson burst through the Bedwas defence to score a fine individual try, O’Driscoll kicking the extras to make it 17-9.

The visitors got straight back into the match when blindside flanker James Thomas barged over under the posts from the restart, Powell’s conversion bringing them back to within a point.

It was a better second half but the game’s flow was often interrupted by the whistle of referee Craig Evans, much to the frustration of the crowd.

The Black and Ambers surrendered their lead with a soft try from a poor clearance kick, Bedwas wing Glen Lewis racing in at the corner with Powell nailing the conversion to make it 23-17 to the visitors.

The lightening quick Frewen was nearly in for his second but was held just short as the home side hammered away at the Bedwas line and they were rewarded for their efforts when O’Driscoll reduced the arrears to three with a penalty in front of the posts.

But another defensive howler by Newport though gifted Bedwas with another easy try, centre Ryan Evans crossing out wide to take his side two scores ahead at 28-20.

A late Powell penalty put the result beyond doubt as he ended the game with 16 points.

Newport have much to ponder after yet another lacklustre and often chaotic display.

Newport: G O'Driscoll, A Hewitt, D Robinson, D Franchi (T James 13-16), E Frewen, E Davies (M O’Brien 74), J Leadbeater (A Quick 74), D Pattison (J Greenfield 61), Andrew Brown (J Jeune 63), G Robinson (A Jeffries 61), Adam Brown, A Frampton, S Waldron (B Lampitt 63), C Attwell, L Beach (capt).

Replacements: J Sullivan,

Newport scorers: Tries – Elliot Frewen (14), Dan Robinson (43), Conversions – Geraint O’Driscoll (14) (43), Penalties – O’Driscoll (28) (67)

Bedwas: S Thomas, S Cullen (R Budina 35), R Evans, S Williams, G Lewis, R Powell, L Crane; A Coundley, R Wilkes, J Mills (M Pettit 62), P Rees (J Davies 77), L Connolly (J Sawyer 57), J Thomas, D Mattravers, S Grainger (capt).

Replacements: M Phelps, H Wilkes, A Bidgood, H Thompson

Bedwas scorers: Tries – James Thomas (44), Glen Lewis (60), Ryan Evans (71), Conversions – Richard Powell (44) (60), Penalties – Richard Powell (19) (39) (42) (77).

Referee: Craig Evans (WRU)

Argus star man: Simon Grainger (Bedwas)