Newport chairman Will Godfrey backs head coach Sven Cronk

First published in Sport

NEWPORT RFC chairman Will Godfrey has moved to back his under fire head coach Sven Cronk although he admits some of the Black and Ambers’ performances this season have been “inept”, writes Iwan Gabe Davies.

This week the team and their backs coach Jon Bryant parted company, the ex-Wales centre leaving due to what the club stated was his “increased pressure of work”.

His departure came days after Newport slumped to their eighth defeat in 11 competitive starts this season following an insipid 31-20 setback to Gwent rivals Bedwas in a Rodney Parade derby.

The great club are again languishing in the lower regions of the Principality Premiership with their greatest rivals Cardiff looking to do the double over them in the league this campaign when they visit Newport tomorrow.

This is the third season in a row the club has failed to mount a meaningful league challenge.

Black and Ambers chief Godfrey though has defended Cronk, the target of some fierce criticism from a number of fans for some time now, and his current number two, forwards coach Dai Gray, against any detractors.

The chairman did however accept that things are far from rosy at the moment.

“I’m not happy because some of the performances this season have, on occasion, been inept,” Godfrey said.

“If we look at the Bedwas game in isolation last Saturday, we won 62 per cent possession and 65 per cent territory but still we weren’t able to win the game.

“We make silly errors and we lose it – we recognise there has to be some change and that things have got to get better. We are also looking for players in a number of key positions.”

On Cronk and Gray’s futures, Godfrey said: “I believe our existing coaches are working extremely hard – they are working their socks off.

“Our lineout last week was extremely effective and some of our back play was fantastic but we made three silly errors which cost us.

“It’s crazy – we are so anxious to go out and win that we are hammering away at opponents’ try-line instead of cooling down.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:58pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Euwan Usami says...

Have always though that Newport have their hands tied when it comes to strengthening the side. They must feel under pressure to avoid NRFC becoming the strongest club side. It's always seems that way as when ever there is a spate of young talent on the Dragons books they seem to end up at Bedwas and then we have to watch Dragons players scoring tries against Newport. Always found that a little odd too. Newport have some good players. They lack consistency. Which always comes back to the coaches I know. Until there is an improvement in form, the coaches will continue to get the flak.
Have always though that Newport have their hands tied when it comes to strengthening the side. They must feel under pressure to avoid NRFC becoming the strongest club side. It's always seems that way as when ever there is a spate of young talent on the Dragons books they seem to end up at Bedwas and then we have to watch Dragons players scoring tries against Newport. Always found that a little odd too. Newport have some good players. They lack consistency. Which always comes back to the coaches I know. Until there is an improvement in form, the coaches will continue to get the flak. Euwan Usami
  • Score: 1

4:21pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Warbles says...

Why is this rolling on? What 'dirty washing' is Mr Cronk holding on to?
Why is this rolling on? What 'dirty washing' is Mr Cronk holding on to? Warbles
  • Score: 2

5:07pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Mr Bump. says...

He should have been shown the door about 6 years ago, if not longer.
He should have been shown the door about 6 years ago, if not longer. Mr Bump.
  • Score: 7

8:15pm Fri 13 Dec 13

fedupjon says...

Would somebody from th Argus kindly explain why my comment has been removed.
Would somebody from th Argus kindly explain why my comment has been removed. fedupjon
  • Score: 3

9:30am Sat 14 Dec 13

risca dragons says...

Euwan Usami wrote:
Have always though that Newport have their hands tied when it comes to strengthening the side. They must feel under pressure to avoid NRFC becoming the strongest club side. It's always seems that way as when ever there is a spate of young talent on the Dragons books they seem to end up at Bedwas and then we have to watch Dragons players scoring tries against Newport. Always found that a little odd too. Newport have some good players. They lack consistency. Which always comes back to the coaches I know. Until there is an improvement in form, the coaches will continue to get the flak.
Under pressure not to be the strongest side, I'm sure that's why he's still got a job?! Newport get enough academy & dragons players and they have more money than any other team in the region. If u can afford to be paying £20k for a player playing part time you should be up bear the top of the league! Everyone knows the Newport coaches are jokes and are only there because of their connections with directors.
[quote][p][bold]Euwan Usami[/bold] wrote: Have always though that Newport have their hands tied when it comes to strengthening the side. They must feel under pressure to avoid NRFC becoming the strongest club side. It's always seems that way as when ever there is a spate of young talent on the Dragons books they seem to end up at Bedwas and then we have to watch Dragons players scoring tries against Newport. Always found that a little odd too. Newport have some good players. They lack consistency. Which always comes back to the coaches I know. Until there is an improvement in form, the coaches will continue to get the flak.[/p][/quote]Under pressure not to be the strongest side, I'm sure that's why he's still got a job?! Newport get enough academy & dragons players and they have more money than any other team in the region. If u can afford to be paying £20k for a player playing part time you should be up bear the top of the league! Everyone knows the Newport coaches are jokes and are only there because of their connections with directors. risca dragons
  • Score: 2

12:31pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Euwan Usami says...

risca dragons wrote:
Euwan Usami wrote:
Have always though that Newport have their hands tied when it comes to strengthening the side. They must feel under pressure to avoid NRFC becoming the strongest club side. It's always seems that way as when ever there is a spate of young talent on the Dragons books they seem to end up at Bedwas and then we have to watch Dragons players scoring tries against Newport. Always found that a little odd too. Newport have some good players. They lack consistency. Which always comes back to the coaches I know. Until there is an improvement in form, the coaches will continue to get the flak.
Under pressure not to be the strongest side, I'm sure that's why he's still got a job?! Newport get enough academy & dragons players and they have more money than any other team in the region. If u can afford to be paying £20k for a player playing part time you should be up bear the top of the league! Everyone knows the Newport coaches are jokes and are only there because of their connections with directors.
You may well be right about the coaching but I did see a tweet from one of the key Newport players that suggests the players earn closer to half what you claim there. Still a good supliment to a full time wage I would say though.
[quote][p][bold]risca dragons[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Euwan Usami[/bold] wrote: Have always though that Newport have their hands tied when it comes to strengthening the side. They must feel under pressure to avoid NRFC becoming the strongest club side. It's always seems that way as when ever there is a spate of young talent on the Dragons books they seem to end up at Bedwas and then we have to watch Dragons players scoring tries against Newport. Always found that a little odd too. Newport have some good players. They lack consistency. Which always comes back to the coaches I know. Until there is an improvement in form, the coaches will continue to get the flak.[/p][/quote]Under pressure not to be the strongest side, I'm sure that's why he's still got a job?! Newport get enough academy & dragons players and they have more money than any other team in the region. If u can afford to be paying £20k for a player playing part time you should be up bear the top of the league! Everyone knows the Newport coaches are jokes and are only there because of their connections with directors.[/p][/quote]You may well be right about the coaching but I did see a tweet from one of the key Newport players that suggests the players earn closer to half what you claim there. Still a good supliment to a full time wage I would say though. Euwan Usami
  • Score: 1

7:27pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Robert Shillabeer says...

After today's very poor game by both sides something must be done or the drop looms. Newport were worse than Cardiff to be fair, even with two yellow cards Cardiff held Newport out and even scored a try when a man short. Cronk's position must be in doubt after such a poor performance, but where do you get a top class head coach this time of year. Newport dropped the ball on numerous occasions or knocked on in crucial places. Newport scored a good try at the Heath but rarely looked like getting the tries they really needed. Perhaps they are trying a bit too hard and are all tensed up because the head coach's job is on the line, flowing rugby is something of a rarity from Newport this season (as last season). On paper Newport have a very good side but arn't clicking so that may be why they don't want Dragons players to supplement them. What ever the reasons Mr Cronk is on borrowed time and another performance like today it will be goodbye to his term of office no doubt.
After today's very poor game by both sides something must be done or the drop looms. Newport were worse than Cardiff to be fair, even with two yellow cards Cardiff held Newport out and even scored a try when a man short. Cronk's position must be in doubt after such a poor performance, but where do you get a top class head coach this time of year. Newport dropped the ball on numerous occasions or knocked on in crucial places. Newport scored a good try at the Heath but rarely looked like getting the tries they really needed. Perhaps they are trying a bit too hard and are all tensed up because the head coach's job is on the line, flowing rugby is something of a rarity from Newport this season (as last season). On paper Newport have a very good side but arn't clicking so that may be why they don't want Dragons players to supplement them. What ever the reasons Mr Cronk is on borrowed time and another performance like today it will be goodbye to his term of office no doubt. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 1

11:55am Sun 15 Dec 13

Euwan Usami says...

Robert Shillabeer wrote:
After today's very poor game by both sides something must be done or the drop looms. Newport were worse than Cardiff to be fair, even with two yellow cards Cardiff held Newport out and even scored a try when a man short. Cronk's position must be in doubt after such a poor performance, but where do you get a top class head coach this time of year. Newport dropped the ball on numerous occasions or knocked on in crucial places. Newport scored a good try at the Heath but rarely looked like getting the tries they really needed. Perhaps they are trying a bit too hard and are all tensed up because the head coach's job is on the line, flowing rugby is something of a rarity from Newport this season (as last season). On paper Newport have a very good side but arn't clicking so that may be why they don't want Dragons players to supplement them. What ever the reasons Mr Cronk is on borrowed time and another performance like today it will be goodbye to his term of office no doubt.
I really don't think he is on borrowed time Rob. He has come though so much flak unscathed over many seasons now. He's too matey with Mr Godfrey to be in any danger imo. Truth is, it's obvious that the chairman just didn't care what the fans think or how the team performs. As long as they develope the odd player for the region every now and then, no questions are asked.
[quote][p][bold]Robert Shillabeer[/bold] wrote: After today's very poor game by both sides something must be done or the drop looms. Newport were worse than Cardiff to be fair, even with two yellow cards Cardiff held Newport out and even scored a try when a man short. Cronk's position must be in doubt after such a poor performance, but where do you get a top class head coach this time of year. Newport dropped the ball on numerous occasions or knocked on in crucial places. Newport scored a good try at the Heath but rarely looked like getting the tries they really needed. Perhaps they are trying a bit too hard and are all tensed up because the head coach's job is on the line, flowing rugby is something of a rarity from Newport this season (as last season). On paper Newport have a very good side but arn't clicking so that may be why they don't want Dragons players to supplement them. What ever the reasons Mr Cronk is on borrowed time and another performance like today it will be goodbye to his term of office no doubt.[/p][/quote]I really don't think he is on borrowed time Rob. He has come though so much flak unscathed over many seasons now. He's too matey with Mr Godfrey to be in any danger imo. Truth is, it's obvious that the chairman just didn't care what the fans think or how the team performs. As long as they develope the odd player for the region every now and then, no questions are asked. Euwan Usami
  • Score: 2

5:50pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Robert Shillabeer says...

Simply not good enough, the drop is not out of the question yet and unless there is a major improvement that could happen. Mr Cronk has been poor since he took the job, but enough is enough with demotion a possibility. The problem is however who is available to take over?
Simply not good enough, the drop is not out of the question yet and unless there is a major improvement that could happen. Mr Cronk has been poor since he took the job, but enough is enough with demotion a possibility. The problem is however who is available to take over? Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree