St David's Day fight not confirmed, says Nathan Cleverly

11:21am Monday 13th January 2014

By Andrew Penman

NATHAN Cleverly's future plans are up in the air once again today after he cast doubt on his latest comeback date.

The Cefn Fforest ace has not fought since losing his WBO world light-heavyweight title in a disastrous knockout defeat to Sergey Kovalev in August.

Cleverly announced his intention to fight on at cruiserweight but his scheduled bouts against Daniel Ammann in November and Junior Makubu in Monte Carlo on February 1 both failed to materialise due to injuries.

Promoter Frank Warren revealed last week that his fighter was finally set to make his long-awaited return to the ring at Aintree on March 1.

The fight, against an unnamed opponent, was set for the bill featuring Merseyside stars Paul Butler, Joe Selkirk and Kevin Satchell.

But Cleverly has now claimed that the announcement was premature and also suggested that he may be about to part company with Warren and his trainer and father Vince.

The 26-year-old posted a message on Twitter this morning, which reads: “It's been announced that I'm scheduled to fight at Aintree on 1st March. This is yet to be confirmed. I'm currently finalising my training team and promotional agreement. I will update when everything is all confirmed!”

Cleverly has missed out on a crack at the vacant Commonwealth cruiserweight championship against Ammann.

The Aussie will now take on Romford's Tony Conquest for the belt at York Hall on Saturday, February 22.

“Me against Ammann will be a cracking fight for the fans at the York Hall and for the BoxNation viewers,” said Conquest.

“He’s big and rough, likes a tear-up, and will be coming over here to win. He was confident enough to fly around the world to fight Cleverly and he’ll be thinking that he’s got the beating of me as well.

“I’ve got my career back on track now and I’m looking to end the year with the British and Commonwealth belts around my waist. That’s what’s motivating me to beat Ammann, win the Commonwealth title then it could be Dickinson for the British later this year.

“It’s down to me to do a good job on the night against Ammann and show that I’m back and mean business.”

Back

© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group

Campaign Series: site_logo http://www.campaignseries.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.campaignseries.co.uk/trade_directory/