Gavin Henson delighted to extend Bath time
Updated 3:07pm Thursday 10th April 2014 in Sport
FORMER Wales international Gavin Henson has agreed a one-year extension to his contract with Aviva Premiership club Bath after rejecting an approach from Newport Gwent Dragons.
The 32-year-old, who can play both centre positions as well as fly-half and full-back, has scored one try in 20 appearances this season and turned in a man-of-the-match display in last week's Amlin Challenge Cup quarter-final win against Brive.
He is believed to have agreed terms in recent weeks, despite interest from the Dragons and the enticing prospect of joining forces once again with his former mentor Lyn Jones.
The Rodney Parade region were keen to entice the former British & Irish Lions star to Newport next season, but he has chosen to stay in the Aviva Premiership with Bath.
"I'm very happy to be staying. This is a top club and I feel excited about what this group of players can achieve," Henson told Bath's official website.
"It is great to be part of it and I feel proud at the thought of playing more rugby for Bath."
Bath coach Mike Ford added: "Gavin is a real professional. Everything he does is about being as well prepared as possible for every session and match.
"He is experienced, talented and versatile in equal measure, so we are very pleased to have him with us for another year."
Since returning to rugby from a self-imposed exile, Henson had brief ill-fated spells at Saracens, Toulon and Cardiff Blues before spending last season with London Welsh, then moving to Bath in the summer.
He has had limited opportunities in the starting XV and has even had to bide his time in the ‘A’ league, as England midfield contender Kyle Eastmond has firmly established himself as the first choice at inside centre.
There has been renewed talk of an unlikely Wales recall in the aftermath of his stellar display against Brive.
The last of his 34 Test appearances came against England in a pre-World Cup warm-up in 2011 which ended with a first-half injury.
Jones confirmed that Henson was not on the way to Rodney Parade earlier this week.
The Dragons chief said: "I'm sure by Wednesday night you'll hear where he's going next year. Sadly not here," said Jones.
"Gavin's a quality player. Always has been and always will be," said Jones. "I think it's only right that there's teams interested in him.
"He has got a huge amount to offer the game of rugby.
"Ian Gough is playing second row for us next year at 37, Nathan Hines is playing for Clermont at 37.
"Some people hit 31 and the game just disappears from them.
"But Gavin had [time off] and has matured."
Comments are closed on this article.