Dragons unveil new kit

AT HOME: Captain Lee Byrne in the Dragons' new kit

CHANGE: Matthew Pewtner in the Dragons' alternative kit

First published in Sport

NEWPORT Gwent Dragons have unveiled their new home kit for the coming season.

The jersey, which features new main sponsor BT Sport on the front, will be available from the club shop in mid-September.

The Gilbert kit is predominantly black with a red panel across the top and amber piping down the torso. The socks are red and black hoops.

The Dragons wore their new, light blue change kit at the Premiership Rugby 7s.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:03am Sat 23 Aug 14

the dork says...

Cannot say I am enamoured. Did they get a professional designer? Change shirt is better
Cannot say I am enamoured. Did they get a professional designer? Change shirt is better the dork
  • Score: -6

10:06am Sat 23 Aug 14

the dork says...

What do you think of it so far?..............RU
BBISH
What do you think of it so far?..............RU BBISH the dork
  • Score: -7

10:06am Sat 23 Aug 14

the dork says...

What do you think of it so far?..............RU
BBISH
What do you think of it so far?..............RU BBISH the dork
  • Score: -7

11:04am Sat 23 Aug 14

VoiceOfDaPort says...

Nothing special and quite the non-event, but that's as much to do with having a different shirt every season.
Nothing special and quite the non-event, but that's as much to do with having a different shirt every season. VoiceOfDaPort
  • Score: 1

12:47pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Sing up for the amber boys says...

Awful shirt
Awful shirt Sing up for the amber boys
  • Score: 1

2:32pm Sat 23 Aug 14

newport15 says...

not enough amber for me but nice to see NEWPORT is still standing out on the badge
not enough amber for me but nice to see NEWPORT is still standing out on the badge newport15
  • Score: -8

2:59pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Risca1 says...

When are the name Newport and black & amber going to be taken off the jersey. This is now supposed to be a region. Grow some balls.
When are the name Newport and black & amber going to be taken off the jersey. This is now supposed to be a region. Grow some balls. Risca1
  • Score: 9

3:52pm Sat 23 Aug 14

poolerboy says...

Nice to see more red of Pooler than the black and amber on the shirt!!
Nice to see more red of Pooler than the black and amber on the shirt!! poolerboy
  • Score: -1

4:10pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Risca1 says...

poolerboy wrote:
Nice to see more red of Pooler than the black and amber on the shirt!!
Pooler now then - Just as well call them Pontypool Gwent Dragons then. Too much Red. Should be more Green and Blue to represent Ebbwvale & Newbridge.
[quote][p][bold]poolerboy[/bold] wrote: Nice to see more red of Pooler than the black and amber on the shirt!![/p][/quote]Pooler now then - Just as well call them Pontypool Gwent Dragons then. Too much Red. Should be more Green and Blue to represent Ebbwvale & Newbridge. Risca1
  • Score: 1

10:55pm Sat 23 Aug 14

the dork says...

What's wrong with black and amber horizontal stripes ? Good enuff for the invincibles in 1922.
What's wrong with black and amber horizontal stripes ? Good enuff for the invincibles in 1922. the dork
  • Score: -4

3:56pm Sun 24 Aug 14

JJ1980 says...

I see that the comments section has been taken over by Newport fans stuck in 1998.

In case you didn't notice, Newport play on Saturday. Please go along and join the other 300 people who are stuck in the past.

I'll be there on Friday nights cheering on the Dragons who have a great positive season in front of them with new players that could help us lose the "4th region" tag.

I think the kit is excellent, best one for years and I also like the away short too. Although I preferred the blue and black of last season's away jersey.
I see that the comments section has been taken over by Newport fans stuck in 1998. In case you didn't notice, Newport play on Saturday. Please go along and join the other 300 people who are stuck in the past. I'll be there on Friday nights cheering on the Dragons who have a great positive season in front of them with new players that could help us lose the "4th region" tag. I think the kit is excellent, best one for years and I also like the away short too. Although I preferred the blue and black of last season's away jersey. JJ1980
  • Score: 12

1:04am Mon 25 Aug 14

The People's Republic of Newp says...

Risca1 wrote:
When are the name Newport and black & amber going to be taken off the jersey. This is now supposed to be a region. Grow some balls.
When Cardiff and varying shades of blue disappear from theirs. That's your answer.

Ownership asides, all four regions are either supposed to be just that, or merely expedient re-brandings or, finally, mergers between the former Top Welsh 9 club sides prior 2003 (thank you David Moffett).

NGD are no more incumbent to embrace a region in colour, identity and and brand than any of the other three. Hard for you to get your head around I know, but 'Newport' are not the only ones 'at fault' here.

What should worry all the Gwentists far more however is that the rumours of peace in our time (careful, history has hubris) is that of the 9 players designated for CCs (above and beyond the equitable split of separate WRU funding), only 1 has been designated to the the Dragons. How does that ensure equanimity and a fair playing field?

That is the biggest statement of intent that NGD will indeed end up Wales' developer side a la Connaught.

I for one would like to see Gareth Davies scrutinised most robustly in the coming days on that particular aspect.
[quote][p][bold]Risca1[/bold] wrote: When are the name Newport and black & amber going to be taken off the jersey. This is now supposed to be a region. Grow some balls.[/p][/quote]When Cardiff and varying shades of blue disappear from theirs. That's your answer. Ownership asides, all four regions are either supposed to be just that, or merely expedient re-brandings or, finally, mergers between the former Top Welsh 9 club sides prior 2003 (thank you David Moffett). NGD are no more incumbent to embrace a region in colour, identity and and brand than any of the other three. Hard for you to get your head around I know, but 'Newport' are not the only ones 'at fault' here. What should worry all the Gwentists far more however is that the rumours of peace in our time (careful, history has hubris) is that of the 9 players designated for CCs (above and beyond the equitable split of separate WRU funding), only 1 has been designated to the the Dragons. How does that ensure equanimity and a fair playing field? That is the biggest statement of intent that NGD will indeed end up Wales' developer side a la Connaught. I for one would like to see Gareth Davies scrutinised most robustly in the coming days on that particular aspect. The People's Republic of Newp
  • Score: 1

8:22am Mon 25 Aug 14

JJ1980 says...

Nonsense.

So now the WRU have to centrally contract players equally from each region regardless of their ability? Please, this is why Labour have managed to ruin Wales. Players should be CC'd when they are good enough to play for Wales. If that ends up being 15 Dragons or 0 Dragons then so be it. Honestly, I dispair sometimes with people.
Nonsense. So now the WRU have to centrally contract players equally from each region regardless of their ability? Please, this is why Labour have managed to ruin Wales. Players should be CC'd when they are good enough to play for Wales. If that ends up being 15 Dragons or 0 Dragons then so be it. Honestly, I dispair sometimes with people. JJ1980
  • Score: 8

9:47am Mon 25 Aug 14

John Frost Lives says...

What I would like to see is for the Dragons do is to choose some kit colours and stick to them, tweak the kit by all means, but choose a main colour which means, you are watching the Dragons. For me, the Ospreys claimed Black, Scarletts Red, Cardiff Blue etc. We need to build an identity, for the Dragons and all the Regions sake.
What I would like to see is for the Dragons do is to choose some kit colours and stick to them, tweak the kit by all means, but choose a main colour which means, you are watching the Dragons. For me, the Ospreys claimed Black, Scarletts Red, Cardiff Blue etc. We need to build an identity, for the Dragons and all the Regions sake. John Frost Lives
  • Score: 6

11:52am Mon 25 Aug 14

Risca1 says...

Why do Newport RFC supporters not get behind their club side if they are so passionate to play in Black & Amber. The crowds were dreadful last season for Newport RFC.
Why do Newport RFC supporters not get behind their club side if they are so passionate to play in Black & Amber. The crowds were dreadful last season for Newport RFC. Risca1
  • Score: 2

1:30pm Mon 25 Aug 14

Tony Soprano says...

Risca1 wrote:
Why do Newport RFC supporters not get behind their club side if they are so passionate to play in Black & Amber. The crowds were dreadful last season for Newport RFC.
Isn't that the case with all clubs of a similar standard to Newport RED?
[quote][p][bold]Risca1[/bold] wrote: Why do Newport RFC supporters not get behind their club side if they are so passionate to play in Black & Amber. The crowds were dreadful last season for Newport RFC.[/p][/quote]Isn't that the case with all clubs of a similar standard to Newport RED? Tony Soprano
  • Score: 0

1:32pm Mon 25 Aug 14

Tony Soprano says...

Oops I meant RFC ( predictive text )
Oops I meant RFC ( predictive text ) Tony Soprano
  • Score: -1

3:50pm Mon 25 Aug 14

davidjohnedwards says...

The same old arguments. Why don't people realize that this plastic brand is just Newport having to pander to the non-existent "gwent" hordes. I walked away a while ago and so don't have to deal with this idiocy any more but quite frankly the fact that they continue to use the Newport colors (but not enough in my opinion) should give you a clue as to where they see their important client base coming from. It is a half-way house though and they should go back to the Newport brand fully at the professional level. However, Welsh rugby has never been run by competent people who could possibly follow the best approach.
The same old arguments. Why don't people realize that this plastic brand is just Newport having to pander to the non-existent "gwent" hordes. I walked away a while ago and so don't have to deal with this idiocy any more but quite frankly the fact that they continue to use the Newport colors (but not enough in my opinion) should give you a clue as to where they see their important client base coming from. It is a half-way house though and they should go back to the Newport brand fully at the professional level. However, Welsh rugby has never been run by competent people who could possibly follow the best approach. davidjohnedwards
  • Score: -1

2:05pm Tue 26 Aug 14

The People's Republic of Newp says...

JJ1980 wrote:
Nonsense.

So now the WRU have to centrally contract players equally from each region regardless of their ability? Please, this is why Labour have managed to ruin Wales. Players should be CC'd when they are good enough to play for Wales. If that ends up being 15 Dragons or 0 Dragons then so be it. Honestly, I dispair sometimes with people.
No, but there should be a commitment to distribute centrally contracted players according to where they are needed, to maximise link-ups (front rows playing in tandem, half-backs, locks etc) and, yes, to ensure that all four 'regional' outfits prosper, else what is the point?

Three outfits benefiting to greater an extent than the sole remaining fourth is financially iniquitous and begs the question how has RRW acted in the best interests of all its members in agreeing to such a deal. If you can't see that, I too 'dispair'.
[quote][p][bold]JJ1980[/bold] wrote: Nonsense. So now the WRU have to centrally contract players equally from each region regardless of their ability? Please, this is why Labour have managed to ruin Wales. Players should be CC'd when they are good enough to play for Wales. If that ends up being 15 Dragons or 0 Dragons then so be it. Honestly, I dispair sometimes with people.[/p][/quote]No, but there should be a commitment to distribute centrally contracted players according to where they are needed, to maximise link-ups (front rows playing in tandem, half-backs, locks etc) and, yes, to ensure that all four 'regional' outfits prosper, else what is the point? Three outfits benefiting to greater an extent than the sole remaining fourth is financially iniquitous and begs the question how has RRW acted in the best interests of all its members in agreeing to such a deal. If you can't see that, I too 'dispair'. The People's Republic of Newp
  • Score: 2

2:06pm Tue 26 Aug 14

The People's Republic of Newp says...

davidjohnedwards wrote:
The same old arguments. Why don't people realize that this plastic brand is just Newport having to pander to the non-existent "gwent" hordes. I walked away a while ago and so don't have to deal with this idiocy any more but quite frankly the fact that they continue to use the Newport colors (but not enough in my opinion) should give you a clue as to where they see their important client base coming from. It is a half-way house though and they should go back to the Newport brand fully at the professional level. However, Welsh rugby has never been run by competent people who could possibly follow the best approach.
Spot on.
[quote][p][bold]davidjohnedwards[/bold] wrote: The same old arguments. Why don't people realize that this plastic brand is just Newport having to pander to the non-existent "gwent" hordes. I walked away a while ago and so don't have to deal with this idiocy any more but quite frankly the fact that they continue to use the Newport colors (but not enough in my opinion) should give you a clue as to where they see their important client base coming from. It is a half-way house though and they should go back to the Newport brand fully at the professional level. However, Welsh rugby has never been run by competent people who could possibly follow the best approach.[/p][/quote]Spot on. The People's Republic of Newp
  • Score: -1

8:38am Wed 27 Aug 14

JJ1980 says...

People's Republic, your argument is nonsense because the WRU are not paying 100% of the wages. If they were then at least your argument would make sense. Maybe you should build a time machine and move to the USSR in 1960. They loved a good old redistribution of wealth...but...I see that didn't work out too well either.
People's Republic, your argument is nonsense because the WRU are not paying 100% of the wages. If they were then at least your argument would make sense. Maybe you should build a time machine and move to the USSR in 1960. They loved a good old redistribution of wealth...but...I see that didn't work out too well either. JJ1980
  • Score: 1

9:04am Wed 27 Aug 14

Newport76 says...

Way too much black and amber and Newport still emblazened on the jersey in BIG letters!!
Way too much black and amber and Newport still emblazened on the jersey in BIG letters!! Newport76
  • Score: 1

10:44am Wed 27 Aug 14

The People's Republic of Newp says...

JJ1980 wrote:
People's Republic, your argument is nonsense because the WRU are not paying 100% of the wages. If they were then at least your argument would make sense. Maybe you should build a time machine and move to the USSR in 1960. They loved a good old redistribution of wealth...but...I see that didn't work out too well either.
How do you know they WRU are not paying 100% of the CC wages? They are so in the instance of Warburton and were planning to do so with Jones when attempting to sign a player out from the noses of one of their own regions.

Don't forget the CC cash is separate from the conventional funding schematic which IS distributed equally.
[quote][p][bold]JJ1980[/bold] wrote: People's Republic, your argument is nonsense because the WRU are not paying 100% of the wages. If they were then at least your argument would make sense. Maybe you should build a time machine and move to the USSR in 1960. They loved a good old redistribution of wealth...but...I see that didn't work out too well either.[/p][/quote]How do you know they WRU are not paying 100% of the CC wages? They are so in the instance of Warburton and were planning to do so with Jones when attempting to sign a player out from the noses of one of their own regions. Don't forget the CC cash is separate from the conventional funding schematic which IS distributed equally. The People's Republic of Newp
  • Score: 0

10:56am Wed 27 Aug 14

The People's Republic of Newp says...

Check out http://www.bbc.co.uk
/sport/0/rugby-union
/28916918.

The article clearly states "if the deal goes ahead, funding for the 10 will be IN ADDITION to an annual £6.7m shared between Cardiff Blues, Ospreys, Scarlets and Dragons".
Check out http://www.bbc.co.uk /sport/0/rugby-union /28916918. The article clearly states "if the deal goes ahead, funding for the 10 will be IN ADDITION to an annual £6.7m shared between Cardiff Blues, Ospreys, Scarlets and Dragons". The People's Republic of Newp
  • Score: 0

11:26pm Wed 27 Aug 14

JJ1980 says...

It has been reported in almost every single newspaper that the split is 60/40 WRU to regions for the wages.

http://www.telegraph
.co.uk/sport/rugbyun
ion/international/wa
les/11053056/Welsh-r
egions-and-WRU-final
ly-thrash-out-peace-
deal-with-dual-contr
acts-for-10-players.
html

http://www.walesonli
ne.co.uk/sport/rugby
/rugby-news/welsh-ru
gby-peace-deal-last-
7664883

http://www.southwale
s-eveningpost.co.uk/
Welsh-Rugby-Union-re
gions-finally-look-s
et-peace/story-22813
206-detail/story.htm
l

Just google WRU 60/40.
It has been reported in almost every single newspaper that the split is 60/40 WRU to regions for the wages. http://www.telegraph .co.uk/sport/rugbyun ion/international/wa les/11053056/Welsh-r egions-and-WRU-final ly-thrash-out-peace- deal-with-dual-contr acts-for-10-players. html http://www.walesonli ne.co.uk/sport/rugby /rugby-news/welsh-ru gby-peace-deal-last- 7664883 http://www.southwale s-eveningpost.co.uk/ Welsh-Rugby-Union-re gions-finally-look-s et-peace/story-22813 206-detail/story.htm l Just google WRU 60/40. JJ1980
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree