BEDWAS RFC battled in vain to a 15-34 defeat when they faced Pontypridd RFC at the weekend.

Three tries in the last quarter of the game of the Principality Welsh Premiership saw Ponty run out victors in a keenly-contested game.

The final scoreline somewhat flattered the visitors and did not reflect the huge effort Bedwas put in.

Bedwas notched the first points of the game thanks to an early Harley Thomson penalty and increased it to eight points to nil with a well worked try by debutant Glen Lewis.

Ponty’s Dai Flanagan reduced the areas with a penalty goal.

But Bedwas could not turn their possession into points, either by missing penalty shots or losing possession when in sight of the try line.

Flanagan added two further penalties, the second in the last kick of the half to put his side a point ahead at the interval.

In the second half, Bedwas got off to a dream start.

Right wing Rory Budina burst through several tackles before sprinting through for a try under the posts, Thomson adding the conversion.

Flanagan reduced arrears with two penalty goals to level the scores but the Bedwas defence held tight.

Bedwas lost a couple of key players with injury before Ponty second row Craig Locke squeezed in at the corner, Flanagan adding the extras.

Five minutes later Ponty full back Adam Thomas burst through some tired tackles to put his side further ahead.

Flanagan, who had an excellent afternoon with the boot added the extras for a personal tally of 19 points for the afternoon.

Replacement Lloyd Williams made certain of the victory for his side with an unconverted try after 76 minutes, Flanagan missing the conversion from out wide.

The game attendance was 510.

The Bedwas side was Matthew Pettit, Rhys Hutcherson, Joe Mills, Phil Rees, James Thomas, Dan Crimmins, Simon Grainger (capt), Deri Mattravers, Rhys Downes, Harley Thompson, Rory Budina, Scott Williams, Dan Dearden, Glen Lewis, Stuart Thomas. Replacements were Matthew Phelps, Daniel Preece, Richard Wilkes, Kyle Maiden, James Sawyer, Tom Edwards, Sam Withers and Lewis Hudd Bedwas travel to Swansea on Saturday with kick-off at 2.30pm.

November 29 will then see the side play Aberavon.