Trethomas Bluebirds 1 Ynysddu Welfare 3

THE Welfare march into the quarter finals with a victory on penalties in a thrilling cup tie with keeper Jamie Davies the hero.

Ynysddu faced a strong Trethomas Bluebirds outfit in round three of the Gwent Amateur cup with a place in the quarter finals at stake.

The Welfare felt their chances had been boosted before a ball had been kicked with the game being reversed from Trethomas home ground due to an unplayable pitch, with the game now being played on Pontllanfraith 3G where The Welfare always seem to raise their game.

The Welfare started the game very brightly and were looking to cause the Trethomas back four some problems. Daniel Coles was heavily involved and seemed to be popping up everywhere. He had a couple of half chances to test the keeper but couldn't hit the target.

Trethomas were playing some nice football of their own but everytime the Welfare broke they looked dangerous. Some more half chances went begging for the Welfare and they needed to find a way through to make the most of their dominance.

The breakthrough came on 25 minutes from an unlikely source. Gareth Knott shot a superb free kick into the box and Tony Davies showed great bravery to meet the ball before the keeper and get his first goal of the season, putting the Welfare one up.

Trethomas responded well, with their two wingers looking to cause Ynysddu problems. The Welfare were coping well but on 35 minutes the wingers combined to equalise. A deep ball from midfield found the left winger who brought the ball and hit a deep ball into the box. Ben Murphy got dragged into the centre of the box and the right winger made him pay with a simple header.

The Welfare had a chance just before half time to go back in front but Tony Davies couldn't make a good connection on his header and the ball sailed wide.

The second half was a very tense affair with both sides going at each other looking to find the lead again.

Ynysddu missed several glorious opportunities with Gareth Knott and Steffan James - White missing the best chances.

Trethomas had some chances of their own. Jamie Davies made one great save in a one on on situation which was backed up by Tony Davies which a fantastic defensive block.

With the game heading towards extra time neither side could find the breakthrough despite plenty of effort and the dreaded extra 30 mins was to be played.

Extra time then saw the score rise to 3-3 before penalties saw Welfare score three against Trethomas' one.