BARGOED maintained their 100 per cent record at the top of the Championship with a six-try demolition of Glynneath at Abernant Park, in a game disrupted by a stoppage of 50 minutes following a serious injury to one of the Glynneath players.

The home side took the lead after five lung-busting minutes during which both sides kept the ball alive in an almost continuous movement. Glynneath centre Jack O’Reilly put over a sweetly taken drop goal to open the scoring.

Bargoed lost prop Darren Fenton to a knee injury with Kieron Brown replacing him after just seven minutes. Blues outside-half Josh Prosser put a long penalty to within 10 metres of the Glynneath line, the Blues secured the lineout and three phases later scrum-half James Pizey sniped, got caught at the bottom of a ruck and hooker Leigh Meades taking over at nine fed lock Geraint Edmunds on the burst and there was no way he could be stopped at short range. Prosser added the conversion to make it 3-7 after 20 minutes.

The stoppage came after 25 minutes and when it became clear that an ambulance would be required, referee David Cambourne took the players off the pitch.

Bargoed extended their lead just after the game restarted. A Bargoed lineout saw the ball moved swiftly down the short side and big number eight Ross Coombes went over for the second try. Prosser made it two from two with the conversion. O’Reilly and Prosser swapped penalties and the half-time whistle went with Bargoed leading 6-17.

A shortened half-time break saw the away side playing against a stiff breeze but the scoreboard was soon ticking over again with a lineout steal and club captain Meades feeding centre Darren Humphries to carve through the Glynneath midfield to cross for Bargoed’s third. Prosser again added the extras.

Glynneath were now struggling to contain the Bargoed backs and had no answer to the strong midfield defence.

Chris Mapps replaced young Callum Jones at fullback and was soon in the action setting up the bonus point try. Mapps fielded a long kick and ran back at the Glynneath midfield before setting Dai James free, the wing drew defenders and fellow winger Lewis Protheroe powered his way over from 30 metres. Prosser put over the conversion and Bargoed were coasting at 6-31.

Protheroe bagged his brace minutes later following some fine work by Mapps, Edmunds and Darren Humphries. Prosser missed his only kick of the afternoon with the conversion drifting on the wind before a sublime Darren Humphries switch in midfield wrong footed the defence and a pop up pass to Lewis Lippiett taken at speed, enabled the replacement hooker to cross under the posts for the Blues’ sixth try. Prosser slotted his fifth conversion to take his personal tally to 13 points with Bargoed comfortable at 6-43.

There was still time for a home consolation try with lock Tom Jones going over right at the end and with number eight Stewart Leach converting. Final score 13-43.