A MUM has said her six-day old baby could have died after she was turned away from the hospital and had to give birth at home.

Angharad Wills gave birth to her son Dylan on Friday and claims she was turned away by a midwife at the Royal Gwent Hospital, who told her to “go home, have a hot bath and take two Co-codamol”.

Ms Wills said she had phoned ahead at 6.30pm on Friday to the let the midwife at the hospital know she coming and even though she said her contractions were between six to eight minutes long she was told her contractions were "too far apart" and "there was no point in checking her over".

And even though Ms Wills says she persisted and said she "knew she was nearly ready" to give birth, she was told that there was "no point in her being examined" and she "might as well go home".

After reaching her home in Ty Sign, Risca at around 8pm, the 27-year-old mum suddenly realised she was about to give birth and couldn't get back to the hospital in time.

The mum-of-two, who also has a daughter, gave birth on her living room floor and was helped by her partner Daniel Horgan and a paramedic on the phone.

After an ambulance arrived ten minutes after the birth, Ms Wills was checked over and her and her baby boy were taken to the Royal Gwent overnight until Saturday evening and were told they were both well - but baby Dylan did have a facial conjunction due to coming out so fast.

And even though the family are well, Ms Wills says she believes that without her partner by her side, baby Dylan would not have survived, as his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck.

The mum said the birth has left her and her partner traumatised and said she also had to chase for a midwife to come round this week to see the family - as she said the Royal Gwent got her and another patient "mixed up" and didn't realise Ms Wills had been discharged.

Ms Wills said: "It was just a complete nightmare, I kept insisting that I needed to be taken in as I knew the baby was coming soon but the midwife said no.

"It was so scary having to give birth at home. If Dan hasn't been here I'm sure that the baby wouldn't have made it. He wasn't breathing when he came out.

"When I was in the car after my stepdad turned around to take my home I was scared to death. I knew I was ready and kept telling the midwife that on the phone but she didn't even listen.

"I had to chase the hospital on Monday to get a midwife to come out and visit which was very frustrating. They came round yesterday [Wednesday] and said there had been a mix up.

"To first be turned away without even being examined and then that, it's just been horrendous."

The 27-year-old said she wanted to speak out as she does not want the same thing to happen to anyone else who is pregnant.

She said she received a call from the head of the midwifery team who has apologised for what has happened but said she is still upset.

She said: "I feel like I've been to hell and back, me and my partner are just so traumatised by what has happened. We are so lucky that the baby was okay.

"This has put me off having another child. I never want to go through an ordeal like this again."

A spokeswoman for Aneurin Bevan University Health Board said: “We are sorry that Ms Wills was not happy with the care that she received and we have spoken with the family to discuss and address their concerns regarding our services.”