IN a crazy match at Sardis Road Newport and Pontypridd equally shared 14 tries as the Black and Ambers rallied to score 19 points in the final three minutes, writes Iwan Gabe Davies.

The truth was, the hosts dominated but will be furious at allowing the visitors back into it, the visitors leaving with two bonus points for racking up seven tries and coming within two points of the hosts.

Newport had stunned Ponty 29-27 at Rodney Parade earlier in the season, but were second best for almost the entire game.

The rampant hosts had their bonus point in the bag by half-time.

It had started so well for the visitors who scored one of the fastest tries in league history when full-back Geraint O’Driscoll crossed after just 19 seconds, the hosts making a hash of taking the kick-off before their opponents exploited an overlap.

Fly-half Matt O’Brien’s fine touchline conversion capping a dream start.

Ponty got back in the game when outside-half Diggy Bird slotted a penalty after 12 minutes.

And they scored again just seconds later from the re-start, centre and captain Dafydd Lockyer crossing for a converted try as Ponty carved Newport apart.

They incredibly did it again within a minute when openside Rhys Shellard rounded off a glorious move to score a contender for try of the season when they got the ball back. Bird again converted.

The home side went from 7-0 down to 17-7 up within a blink of an eye.

Bird’s second penalty after 25 minutes took the hosts further ahead.

The Black and Ambers hit back with an opportunistic try, O’Brien crossing for a try after his team capitalised on a loose ball as Ponty lost possession deep in their own half.

Hopes of a Newport comeback were dented when wings Alex Webber and Geraint Walsh got tries three and four respectively to make it 30-12 at half-time and secure the bonus point.

Newport wing Haydn Palmer raced away for an interception try just after the interval to give them another lifeline.

But Ponty made the game safe when back rower Morgan Sieniawski and centre Gary Williams crossed for further touchdowns before O’Brien got Newport’s bonus point try, which he converted, as Craig Warlow’s men enjoyed a purple patch.

Bird’s converted try made it their seventh touchdown to compound the visitors’ misery before Newport got a fantastic consolation converted try, scored by centre Chay Smith.

With replacement prop Huw Owen sin binned for a breakdown offence, O’Brien crossed for his hat trick try for which he added the extras.

And there was still time for Palmer to score his second interception try at the death. O’Brien converted, but it was the last play in an incredible match.

Pontypridd scorers: Tries: D Lockyer, R Shellard, A Webber, G Walsh, M Sieniawski, G Williams, D Bird, Cons: D Bird (3), Pens: D Bird (2).

Newport scorers: Tries: G O’Driscoll, M O’Brien (3), Haydn Palmer (2), C Smith, Cons: M O’Brien (5).

Pontypridd: L Rowlands (J Williams 19), A Webber, G Williams, D Lockyer (capt), G Walsh, D Bird (J Rees 72), W Evans, C Phillips (H Owen 50), H Dowden (J Page 50), J Elley (J Popple 50), S Smallman, C Dicomidis (H Barnes 60), S Moore, R Shellard (R Morgan 60), M Sieniawski.

Newport: G O’Driscoll, C Howells, C Smith, A Sabri (H Simons 48), H Palmer, M O’Brien (capt), R James (R Bates 63), N Boyce (H Palmer 53), E Whitson (M Prosser 53), T Piper (G Harris 53), R Cresswell, G Bilton, M Burgess, J Cullimore, J Reid.

Referee: Simon Rees (WRU) Argus star man: Matt O'Brien