CAERPHILLY suffered an undeserved defeat in the last minute of the game at Croesyceiliog as captain Matthew Entwistle converted a penalty with seconds on the clock.

It was the home side that opened the scoring on 6 minutes. A series of penalties eventually resulted in a scrum inside the 22. A good slip pass from the number 8 and a run around by the scrum half who found the full-back breaking the line at pace before releasing Entwistle to go over for an unconcerned try.

Minutes later and the home side crossed the line again. Centre Entwistle crossing again after a quickly taken penalty inside their own half release the full back who broke through some weak tackling close to the line before releasing the centre to cross for his brace. This was followed minutes later by a converted try from full back Ryan Bates.

The home side should have extended their lead five minutes later. Turning over the Caerphilly scrum they eventually won one of their own on the 5 metre line.

However, a poor ball from the set piece allowed the Cheesemen to gather their defence and push the home side back before releasing pressure with a kick upfield.

Caerphilly missed a golden opportunity for points after turning over the lineout and working their way upfield before winning a lockable penalty which was badly hooked.

Having forced the home side into the corner, the visitors won the lineout, moving the ball through the centres and eventually into the hands of right wing Matthew Jones who crossed the line at pace with two defenders in tow after 25 minutes. Full back Simon Church added the conversion.

Caerphilly crossed again 10 minutes later. Having initially lost ruck ball in a close attack on the five metre line, a slip by the full back receiving scrum ball forced a knock on over the line and a five metre scrum. Moving the ball wide, Church broke through the line to cross leaving the half time score at 17-12.

Caerphilly started the second half sprightly and indeed could have scored as they forced the home side into a rushed clearance.

Winning the lineout, the back pass from outside half Vaughan Thomas was spilled by centre Will Worthington and Croesy eventually cleared. Minutes later a chargedown almost fell to Chris Thomas, the ball just winning the race to the line.

On 56 min, a quickly taken penalty on the half way one was taken upfield by Thomas who releases Oliver Griffiths. Running across the defence the winger drew five before releasing flanker Tom Ogden who crossed in the corner to level the scores.

Caerphilly attacked well In the closing quarter and should have crossed on at least three occasions, the home side managing to scramble the ball away.

Deep into Injury time and with Caerphilly on the attack again, the ball was lost in the home 22. The cross field kick was covered by the Cheesemen.

However, the resultant clearance failed to go to hand and the home side counter attacked with numbers out wide. The covering defence was forced to transgress which saw winger Matthew Jones receive a yellow card for his efforts and gave Entwistle a simple penalty conversion handing victory to the home side with seconds remaining.

Caerphilly welcome Blaenavon to Virginia Park next weekend, while the Youth team travel to West Wales for a WRU cup match. Kick off for both games 2:30pm.