Taff - Ely & Rhymney Valley Premier League

Nelson Cavaliers 2- 3 Llanbradach

Yet another local derby saw Nelson being edged out in a close encounter. Despite the heavy underfoot conditions both teams tried to play neat attacking football. There were few chances early on until the deadlock was broken when Llanbradach were given a stone wall penalty. This was converted by Daniel Hanson despite the Nelson Keeper Matthew Farr getting his hand to the ball. This only spurred Nelson on they soon equalised with a stunning strike from 25 yards by Dan Falconer which gave the Llanbradach keeper no chance. Nelson kept pressing and just before half time were rewarded with another goal, Kyle Spencer slotting home from a cross from the left to give Nelson a 2-1 lead at Half time.

The break came at the wrong time for Nelson as it allowed Llanbradach time to regroup as they came out in the second half with renewed vigour.

Despite Nelson creating a few chances early in the second half they never really looked like adding to the lead. Llanbradach equalised midway through the second half as Nelson struggled with Llanbradach’s 5 man midfield. A long ball saw the Llanbradach number 9 outpace the Nelson defence and coolly slot pat the keeper. Despite this equaliser the game seemed to be heading for a draw, then with 5 minutes to go Daniel Hanson found himself unmarked from a corner and headed Llanbradach into the lead. Despite a late rally from Nelson Llanbradach held on for the three points. Nelson never really got to grips with the Llanbradach formation and struggled to adapt their formation to counteract the play. Hopefully next week will see a return to form for the Cavaliers.

Taff - Ely & Rhymney Valley League 1

Llantrisant 4 – 2 Nelson Cavaliers Tervs

A game of two halves as the Tervs produced yet another Jekyll and Hyde display. The First half there was a complete lack of fire and it was far too lax as the passing, tackling and positioning was all off the boil. Llantristant scored three quick goals before half time which couldn't come quick enough.

Half time 0-3.

The Tervss responded well after a half time team talk and started playing some neat football.

Chances were coming and then a penalty was awarded and Andrew Teconi finished perfectly in the corner.Nelson were now fired up and started responding well but it got harder as the half went on as it seemed every refereeing decision went against the Tervs.

Then as the Trevs pushed forward they won a throw in right in the corner that the linesman, stood half a yard away from, awarded to the Tervs but the ref overruled him from 30 yards away.

Llantristant went straight up the other end and scored, as Nelson had pushed forward for the throw. The Tervs still had enough to get another one a great delivery from Tec that was headed in well by Daniel Lynch who had looked sharp up front when he come on.

Final score 4:2.

Over 40’s League

Rhondda 3 - 0 Nelson

A disappointing performance by the boys saw them go down in Rhondda 3-0 with not many complaints.

There were a few guys missing from the last game, which included Rob Jones in goal... Michael Hanson stepped in for him and performed well in the first half to keep it at 0-0 going into the break.

The pitch was naturally wet through and a blustery wind caused more problems for Nelson in the second half than their opponents....within 10 mins of the restart Rhondda had affectively secured victory by firing in 3 goals in quick succession.

Nelson kept battling but it did not look like they were going to score at any point and must put this game behind them, before the home match next week against Fairfield .