Cilfynydd 17 Caerphilly 22

CAERPHILLY travelled to the Cilfynydd having won four of their last five games, catapulting them to sixth place in the league.

The home side meanwhile occupy their previous 10th place, but are safe from relegation.

An exciting game, played between two keen teams saw six tries, four yellow cards and end to end action, right to the end.

It was the home side that enjoyed the better of the first half hour. Playing down hill, Caerphilly failed to find first gear, and the home side capitalised.

Their first try came courtesy of a chip ahead that fell between two Caerphilly players, and with a favourable bounce into the centre’s hands he was away. With support from replacement Sean Griffiths, coming in on a switch, the winger found a good line and crossed for a try.

A penalty try on 27 minutes saw a wider gap open up.

Losing a scrum on the five metre line, the Caerphilly scrum broke up and as the home side drove for the line, but the visitors were forced to disrupt the ball at the rear of the scrum and the referee gave the try without any hesitation. Outside half Delme King added the conversion for a 12-0 lead.

Caerphilly finally kicked into gear, and despite wasting three earlier chances a break for the line saw a scrum on the home line.

Failing to secure the ball from the attack, the home side cleared up field, but Caerphilly ran back at them.

Moving to the left, the defence held firm, but back in the centre, hooker Gareth Ogden was waiting to drive through before releasing flanker Tom Ogden, who drove over the line to score, centre Will Worthington adding the simple conversion.

The second half saw Caerphilly come out strong, managing a solitary penalty through Worthington on 43 minutes taking the score to 12-10.

A dust up on 57 minutes resulted in four players, two from either side in the sin bin.

Two minutes later a Cilfynydd attack broke down in the 22 and Caerphilly broke down the left, an inch perfect pass provided to winger Oliver Griffiths to score under posts.

Another break from within their 22, five minutes later, saw full back James Kestell into the 22, on the left.

Recycling the ball into centre field, outside half Vaughn Thomas eventually breaking through to score.

Worthington added the conversion for a 22-10 lead with 15 minutes remaining. The visitors had their chances to extend that lead but a strong Cilfynydd defence proved too much and Caerphilly failed to score again.

The home side came at them hard and eventually crossed the whitewash through hooker Ed Ford, the conversion attempt striking the post.

A frantic last five minutes saw both sides attacking, Caerphilly keeping the home side at bay before attacking the line and sealing the win as Cilfynydd were unable to break from their line.

The home side nearly stole some points, breaking for their try line in the final moments, losing the ball in the 22, and Caerphilly took the victory.