NELSON Cavaliers football sides have been back in action with the start of the new season

In the Taff Ely and Rhymney Valley Premier League they narrowly lost out to Llanbradach 3-2.

Nelson lost their opening game of the league campaign despite taking the lead twice, writes David Roberts. Nelson looked sharp and took the lead after four minutes when Ben Banks collected the ball and blasted it into the net from 15 yards. Llanbradach equalised when a hopeful punt upfield caused confusion between two Cavs defenders and the keeper leaving the Llanbradach striker free to head on and watch the ball roll into the empty net. Nelson regained the lead with another good move ended with Banks feeding Lewis Roberts who finished well. Cavs continued to create chances but were unable to add to their lead. Half-time score 2-1.

Llanbradach started the second half the brighter as they searched for an equaliser. They were awarded a penalty midway through the half which they failed to convert hitting the bar. This did not stop the brad pushing forward whenever they got the chance. Llanbradach’s equaliser was very lucky as a tame shot took a wicked bounce off a divot and shot up wrong footing keeper Matthew Farr. This unsettled Nelson and Llanbradach were now the better team and soon grabbed the winner. Again loose defending by Cavs saw Llanbradach winger crossed for their striker to nip in between two defenders to nod home. Nelson hit the post as they tried to respond but the gifted goals they gave away was too much in a game which should never have been lost

Nelson had more success in theTaff Ely and Rhymney Valley League Division 1, beating Llantrisant 4-2.

First game of the season and what a cracker, Mr Roberts also wrote.

Nelson started well passing about with some lovely one touch football .It didn't take long for Nelson to establish their dominance and the first goal came from a lovely passing move involving Lewis Edmunds, Keenan and Jake that saw Callum run through one and one and finished well for 1-0. Nelson didn't ease up and continued to dominate. Then following some nice football in defence Nathan looked up and played a long through ball for Callum to run onto and again finished it decisively to make it 2-0.A third was surely coming and it was a beauty.

Tec, Keenan, Alex and Lewis combined well again and Callum was fed in again but this time he teed it up nice for Jake who smashed it with the outside of his left foot bending it away from the keeper for 3-0 at half time. Llantristant came fighting back and scored two goals in seven minutes but Nelson didn't panic and saw through the rest of the pressure with some good defending from Corey and Ross and some good saves from Alex. The game was finally settled when Tec played Callum through who finished off his display with a superb hat trick.