NEWPORT County AFC fought back from a goal down to beat 10-man Scunthorpe United and finally end their winless run in League Two.

County trailed to Abo Eisa’s first-half stunner and looked to be heading for another defeat on a blustery and bleak north Lincolnshire afternoon.

But they battled hard to find a way back into the game and were rewarded in the closing stages as substitute Jamille Matt levelled and Padraig Amond hit a precious winner 14 minutes from the end after Lee Novak was sent off for the hosts.

The result will come as a big relief to manager Michael Flynn, whose side hadn’t won a league match since they welcomed Scunthorpe to Rodney Parade on October 19.

And the three points makes it an excellent week for the Exiles after Tuesday’s win over MK Dons in the Trophy.

Flynn made three changes from that game with Tom King, Mickey Demetriou and Joss Labadie all returning in place of Nick Townsend, Dom Jefferies and Matty Dolan.

New loan signing Dale Gorman was named on the bench but fellow new boy Billy Waters didn’t travel after suffering a dead leg in training yesterday.

County had the wind behind them in the first half but they failed to make the most of that advantage, if indeed it was an advantage.

In truth, neither team got to grips with the conditions in a low quality first half that was brightened up by one moment of brilliance from Eisa seven minutes before the interval.

The lively winger picked the ball up 20 yards out and lashed it past the despairing dive of King and inside the post.

It was a superb strike that came out of the blue after an evenly contested opening period.

The hosts almost took the lead in bizarre circumstances in the 12th minute when Harrison McGahey's cross looked to be overhit but it held up in the wind and Lee Novak headed just off target.

King did brilliantly to deny Eisa when he was through one-on-one before Inniss saw a header cleared off the line by Matthew Lund at the other end.

King then saved John McAtee’s long-range effort and George Nurse went close for County, firing over the top from 25 yards.

The goal lifted the home fans and as the Iron surge forward looking for a second goal it led to a spate of yellow cards for the visitors.

Inniss and Labadie were both booked and Flynn was also shown a yellow card for something he said to the fourth official just before the break.

Campaign Series:

County needed a response and they started the second half well with Amond going closest to levelling 10 minutes after the restart.

The striker brilliantly controlled a high ball before seeing his shot cleared off the line by McGahey.

The Scunny goal then led something of a charmed life as they somehow managed to scramble the ball away after two almighty scrambles in the box.

Flynn looked to pile on the pressure as he withdrew Mark O’Brien and threw Matt into the mix up front just before the hour.

The Exiles initially lost a bit of impetus with the tactical rejig and the hosts began to look a threat on the break, with John McAtee scooping a shot over from 20 yards.

But it worked a treat in the end as the visitors turned the match on its head in the final 20 minutes.

The equaliser arrived on 72 minutes when Tristan Abrahams’ long range effort was too hot for home goalkeeper Rory Watson to hold and Matt was on hand to tuck away the rebound from close range.

Novak was then shown a straight red card for an off-the-ball incident and Flynn’s men took full advantage of the chaos in the hosts’ defence as Inniss knocked down the free-kick and Amond swept the loose ball past Watson.

It was the Irishman’s 12th goal of the season and the way he celebrated it in front of the small band of travelling fans showed just how much it meant to him, the team and those hardy supporters.

County: King; Inniss, O’Brien (Matt, 58), Demetriou; Haynes, Bennett, Sheehan, Nurse; Labadie; Amond, Abrahams

Subs not used: Townsend, Howkins, Woodiwiss, Gorman, Dolan, Collins

Booked: Inniss, Labadie, Flynn, Amond

Referee: Scott Oldham

Attendance: 3,001

Argus star man: Amond